Social media has become an essential part of communication. We use it to connect with old friends, date, seek almost all our information, hire people, and expand our businesses. Effectively using social media to reach your target audience can level up your business in no time, especially since, according to LinkedIn, almost 75% of the world’s population uses some form of social media.
So, where to begin?
There are quite a few platforms, and they may not all work for you. For a social media novice, here are a few factors to consider:
- Which platforms are user friendly?
- Which platforms are most used by your target audience?
- Which platforms can be linked? (For example, people often link their Facebook and Instagram accounts to post simultaneously.)
For a more experienced social media user, the next few tips apply as well. Not only should you have a voice through social media, but:
- Post often! Each post increases your chance of being seen by a customer. Some businesses set up a social media account and then rarely use it. Use it!
- Be professional. Sometimes online, we tend to be super casual, which is good in order to seem approachable…but being approachable does not mean being unprofessional.
- But, also be yourself. People are getting quite good at quickly picking up on inauthentic social media personalities, so being yourself and being honest and open are key.
- Get help if needed. Navigating social media can be tricky–don’t hesitate to get one of our consultants to guide you through setting up and using your platform to its best advantage as well as how to create compelling content.
Is social media really that big a deal?
Well, close to 90% of marketers have experienced increased exposure through social media. 75% of those same marketers have also seen an increase in traffic. It’s hard to argue with numbers!
For most businesses, social media is very important for one big reason: Exposure. Anyone looking for the service you offer will likely do an online search to see what’s out there…and your business can come up any time they do that.
Also, word of mouth takes place most of the time these days on social media platforms. Social media provides your satisfied clients with a place to leave recommendations or an opportunity to tag you on their page, for all of their friends to see.
And, every post you make is another opportunity for your business to come up in a search (hence the rule to post, and post often!).
What are the benefits of using social media?
There are quite a few potential benefits, but the most immediate are:
- Free advertising and promotion of your brand.
- Free networking!
- Quicker and easier access to your clients.
Using social media to promote your business and connect with your customers can increase your success and profits. Although social media is an ever changing medium, it has become more and more a part of our daily lives. When the social media world becomes overwhelming, there are professionals who can help you not on learn how to use social media, but help you maximize your business’s full potential through social media.